Thursday, December 01, 2005

Time to get stronger

Most people have different opinions on how to study go and how to get better. Some like to play and learn from playing, others like to read alot of books and some feel you need to be taught by stronger players. I used to be of the creed that would read theoretical books and hopefully be able to use my new knowledge in games to come. However, the players I played rarely played moves that corrosponded with what I learned, and I wasn't skilled enough yet to adapt ideas and strategies to fit my opponents. I am doing a little bit better these days, though I think I need to change the way I work to improve my game if I am to advance beyond this point.

I started out by saying many people have different opinions about how to study go. It does seem however that as players reach higher levels, their ideas on how to improve is less divergent (many pages on sensei, and other bloggers like Falling Stones' ideas on learning). Playing lots of games and studying life and death. Learn how to fight and improve your reading.

Dieter Verhofstadt's page on improvement and Benjamin Teuber's how to get strong have been very inspiring to me. I especially enjoy the entry about doing tsumego the proper way and plan to make that an important part of my study. Now, to take this inspiration and actually do something that will benefit me I feel I should make a schedule. But before I get started I want to make sure I have the resources to do this. I need some life and death problem books. Graded Go Problems for beginners vol 3 maybe, the Korean Problem Academy and Life and Death: Intermediate Level Problems maybe? Suggestions are very welcome :)

4 comments:

hdoong said...

Hi,

The Korean Go Academy problems are very good. You can start by tackling those problems there. Goproblems.com has also an extensive collection.

When I started, I used the "Get Strong At" series. Then I proceeded to use a lot of Chinese books.

The Koreans tht I speak to emphasised that the player do not look at the answer but think through the problem thoroughly before going through the solutions. I believe in this. It helps to improve reading a lot.

Going through "easy" problems quickly and look at the answer if u cannot solve it quickly is good at hammering in the "shape" moves.

my tow cents :)

Gilgamesh said...

Right :) Will try to mix it up doing both easy and hard, quick and slow.

Really want the korean problem academy, but badukbooks.com has been down for many weeks now it seems :\ not sure where else to get it. The big European retailer Schaak En Go Het Paard doesn't seem to have it.

Thank you for your 2 cents :)

hdoong said...

hi,

you can access gobase to do the problems online pending the books?

http://gobase.org/studying/problems/academy/

Gilgamesh said...

Yes, the collection at gobase.org is currently my best asset for problems. I would prefer to get books because then I can study in an enviroment with less distractions than the online world :) so for now I do a little tsumego, whereas my strict training schedule will wait until I have more resources.